Welcome to immune-oncology (IO) and cellular therapy focus, where you can explore the latest updates in this field by haematological disease and therapy type. IO Focus showcases expert interviews and discussions, podcasts and e-learning.
IO is at the frontier of hematological malignancy research, offering the potential for paradigm-changing new treatments1-3. Agents including antibodies4,5, immune checkpoint inhibitors6-8, NK-cell therapy9-11, vaccines12-14 and CAR T-cells15-17 are increasingly featured in treatment regimens, many of which under testing in clinical trials currently18-21. Although various questions remain open, it is essential that healthcare professionals understand these therapies, including recognizing and managing their toxicities22-24, and when and how to use them25,26.
View all videos
- Bachireddy P, Burkhardt UE, Rajasagi M, et al. Haematological malignancies: at the forefront of immunotherapeutic innovation. Nat Rev Cancer. 2015 Apr; 15(4): 201-15.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The explosion of immuno-oncology; c2017-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/9wwhq0i9sey-the-explosion-of-immuno-oncology/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The future of leukemia treatment leans towards immunotherapy; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/nku6v1nahci-the-future-of-leukemia-treatment-leans-towards-immunotherapy/
- van de Donk NW1, Moreau P2, Plesner T, et al. Clinical efficacy and management of monoclonal antibodies targeting CD38 and SLAMF7 in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2016 Feb 11; 127(6): 681-95.
- Topp MS, Goekbuget N, Zugmaier G, et al. Anti-CD19 BiTE blinatumomab induces high complete remission rate and prolongs overall survival in adult patients with relapsed/refractory B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Blood. 2012; 120(1): 670.
- Pardoll DM. The blockade of immune checkpoints in cancer immunotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012 Mar 22; 12(4): 252-64.
- Ansell SM, Lesokhin AM, Borrello I, et al. PD-1 blockade with nivolumab in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jan 22; 372(4): 311-9.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Immune checkpoint inhibitors and their role in MM: pembrolizumab and durvalumab; c2017-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/b9r09suuob8-immune-checkpoint-inhibitors-and-their-role-in-mm-pembrolizumab-and-durvalumab/
- Miller JS, Soignier Y, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, et al. Successful adoptive transfer and in vivo expansion of human haploidentical NK cells in patients with cancer. Blood. 2005 Apr 15; 105(8): 3051-7.
- Rubnitz JE, Inaba H, Ribeiro RC, et al. NKAML: a pilot study to determine the safety and feasibility of haploidentical natural killer cell transplantation in childhood acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Feb 20; 28(6): 955-9.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Promising results for MM treatment with natural killer cells; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/qakao7um7xg-promising-results-for-mm-treatment-with-natural-killer-cells/
- Brody JD, Ai WZ, Czerwinski DK, et al. In situ vaccination with a TLR9 agonist induces systemic lymphoma regression: a phase I/II study. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 1; 28(28): 4324-32.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Personalized dendritic cell vaccine for acute leukemia and multiple myeloma; c2018-04; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/9zooz_nhvx8-personalized-dendritic-cell-vaccine-for-acute-leukemia-and-multiple-myeloma/
- Avigan D & Rosenblatt J. Vaccine therapy in hematologic malignancies. Blood. 2018 Jun 14; 131(24): 2640-2650.
- Fry TJ, Shah NN, Orentas RJ, et al. CD22-targeted CAR T cells induce remission in B-ALL that is naive or resistant to CD19-targeted CAR immunotherapy. Nat Med. 2018 Jan; 24(1): 20-28.
- Maus MV, Grupp SA, Porter D. Antibody-modified T cells: CARs take the front seat for hematologic malignancies. Blood. 2014 Apr 24; 123(17): 2625-35.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Results from CAR T-cell bb2121 first-in-human trial for R/R MM; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/zkburht5yto-results-from-car-t-cell-bb2121-first-in-human-trial-for-rr-mm/
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2016 Jan 20. Identifier NCT02658929. Study of bb2121 in Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02658929
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2016 Nov 9. Identifier NCT02960555. Trial of Isatuximab (SAR650984) in Patients With High Risk Smoldering Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02960555
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2015 Mar 25. Identifier NCT02397720. An Open-Label Phase II Study of Nivolumab (BMS-936558) in Combination With 5-azacytidine (Vidaza) or Nivolumab With Ipilimumab in Combination With 5-azacytidine for the Treatment of Patients With Refractory/ Relapsed Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Newly Diagnosed Older AML (>65 Years) Patients; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02397720
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2012 Nov 20. Identifier NCT01729091. Study of Umbilical Cord Blood-Derived Natural Killer Cells in Conjunction With Elotuzumab, Lenalidomide and High Dose Melphalan Followed by Autologous Stem Cell Transplant for Patients With Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01729091
- Bonifant CL, Jackson HJ, Brentjens RJ, et al. Toxicity and management in CAR T-cell therapy. Mol Ther Oncolytics. 2016 Apr 20; 3: 16011.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Checkpoint inhibitors: parallel management of the disease and immune-related toxicities; c2018-02; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/r2wev3vzwjy-checkpoint-inhibitors-parallel-management-of-the-disease-and-immune-related-toxicities/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Professional education and training on the management CAR T-cell toxicities; c2018-03; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/_t0e5ekj-ci-professional-education-and-training-on-the-management-car-t-cell-toxicities/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Integrating cellular therapies into clinical practice; c2017-10; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/ohollsb-bde-integrating-cellular-therapies-into-clinical-practice/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The role of pharmacists when introducing biosimilar monoclonal antibodies into practice; c2017-10; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/caycs0p0lq8-the-role-of-pharmacists-when-introducing-biosimilar-monoclonal-antibodies-into-practice/