The Immuno-Oncology Focus on VJHemOnc is supported by Janssen Pharmaceuticals (a Johnson & Johnson Company). This supporter has no influence over the production of the content.
Welcome to the Immuno-Oncology (I-O) Focus
Explore the latest updates in this field by hematological disease and therapy type. I-O Focus showcases expert interviews and discussions, podcasts and e-learning.
I-O is at the frontier of hematological malignancy research, offering the potential for paradigm-changing new treatments1-3. Agents including antibodies4,5, immune checkpoint inhibitors6-8, NK-cell therapy9-11, vaccines12-14 and CAR T-cells15-17 are increasingly featured in treatment regimens, many of which under testing in clinical trials currently18-21. Although various questions remain open, it is essential that healthcare professionals understand these therapies, including recognizing and managing their toxicities22-24, and when and how to use them25,26.
- Bachireddy P, Burkhardt UE, Rajasagi M, et al. Haematological malignancies: at the forefront of immunotherapeutic innovation. Nat Rev Cancer. 2015 Apr; 15(4): 201-15.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The explosion of immuno-oncology; c2017-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/9wwhq0i9sey-the-explosion-of-immuno-oncology/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The future of leukemia treatment leans towards immunotherapy; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/nku6v1nahci-the-future-of-leukemia-treatment-leans-towards-immunotherapy/
- van de Donk NW1, Moreau P2, Plesner T, et al. Clinical efficacy and management of monoclonal antibodies targeting CD38 and SLAMF7 in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2016 Feb 11; 127(6): 681-95.
- Topp MS, Goekbuget N, Zugmaier G, et al. Anti-CD19 BiTE blinatumomab induces high complete remission rate and prolongs overall survival in adult patients with relapsed/refractory B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Blood. 2012; 120(1): 670.
- Pardoll DM. The blockade of immune checkpoints in cancer immunotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012 Mar 22; 12(4): 252-64.
- Ansell SM, Lesokhin AM, Borrello I, et al. PD-1 blockade with nivolumab in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jan 22; 372(4): 311-9.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Immune checkpoint inhibitors and their role in MM: pembrolizumab and durvalumab; c2017-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/b9r09suuob8-immune-checkpoint-inhibitors-and-their-role-in-mm-pembrolizumab-and-durvalumab/
- Miller JS, Soignier Y, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, et al. Successful adoptive transfer and in vivo expansion of human haploidentical NK cells in patients with cancer. Blood. 2005 Apr 15; 105(8): 3051-7.
- Rubnitz JE, Inaba H, Ribeiro RC, et al. NKAML: a pilot study to determine the safety and feasibility of haploidentical natural killer cell transplantation in childhood acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Feb 20; 28(6): 955-9.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Promising results for MM treatment with natural killer cells; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/qakao7um7xg-promising-results-for-mm-treatment-with-natural-killer-cells/
- Brody JD, Ai WZ, Czerwinski DK, et al. In situ vaccination with a TLR9 agonist induces systemic lymphoma regression: a phase I/II study. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 1; 28(28): 4324-32.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Personalized dendritic cell vaccine for acute leukemia and multiple myeloma; c2018-04; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/9zooz_nhvx8-personalized-dendritic-cell-vaccine-for-acute-leukemia-and-multiple-myeloma/
- Avigan D & Rosenblatt J. Vaccine therapy in hematologic malignancies. Blood. 2018 Jun 14; 131(24): 2640-2650.
- Fry TJ, Shah NN, Orentas RJ, et al. CD22-targeted CAR T cells induce remission in B-ALL that is naive or resistant to CD19-targeted CAR immunotherapy. Nat Med. 2018 Jan; 24(1): 20-28.
- Maus MV, Grupp SA, Porter D. Antibody-modified T cells: CARs take the front seat for hematologic malignancies. Blood. 2014 Apr 24; 123(17): 2625-35.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Results from CAR T-cell bb2121 first-in-human trial for R/R MM; c2018-06; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/zkburht5yto-results-from-car-t-cell-bb2121-first-in-human-trial-for-rr-mm/
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2016 Jan 20. Identifier NCT02658929. Study of bb2121 in Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02658929
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2016 Nov 9. Identifier NCT02960555. Trial of Isatuximab (SAR650984) in Patients With High Risk Smoldering Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02960555
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2015 Mar 25. Identifier NCT02397720. An Open-Label Phase II Study of Nivolumab (BMS-936558) in Combination With 5-azacytidine (Vidaza) or Nivolumab With Ipilimumab in Combination With 5-azacytidine for the Treatment of Patients With Refractory/ Relapsed Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Newly Diagnosed Older AML (>65 Years) Patients; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02397720
- ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2012 Nov 20. Identifier NCT01729091. Study of Umbilical Cord Blood-Derived Natural Killer Cells in Conjunction With Elotuzumab, Lenalidomide and High Dose Melphalan Followed by Autologous Stem Cell Transplant for Patients With Multiple Myeloma; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01729091
- Bonifant CL, Jackson HJ, Brentjens RJ, et al. Toxicity and management in CAR T-cell therapy. Mol Ther Oncolytics. 2016 Apr 20; 3: 16011.
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Checkpoint inhibitors: parallel management of the disease and immune-related toxicities; c2018-02; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/r2wev3vzwjy-checkpoint-inhibitors-parallel-management-of-the-disease-and-immune-related-toxicities/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Professional education and training on the management CAR T-cell toxicities; c2018-03; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/_t0e5ekj-ci-professional-education-and-training-on-the-management-car-t-cell-toxicities/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. Integrating cellular therapies into clinical practice; c2017-10; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/ohollsb-bde-integrating-cellular-therapies-into-clinical-practice/
- VJHemOnc.com [Internet]. The role of pharmacists when introducing biosimilar monoclonal antibodies into practice; c2017-10; [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/caycs0p0lq8-the-role-of-pharmacists-when-introducing-biosimilar-monoclonal-antibodies-into-practice/