MRD and Lymphoma
MRD is becoming an increasing focus of research in lymphoma. The use of new drugs, even those with just mild side effects, for long periods of time can affect patients’ quality of life1. Thus, the potential utilization of MRD measurement to determine when therapy can be stopped would be of great benefit2.
As patients are living longer, endpoints that provide quick, sensitive and accurate results are needed in trials. With new technologies for MRD detection displaying a sensitivity level of <1xE-06, MRD could prove to be a useful endpoint3. Reported lymphoma trial data has shown that MRD is a powerful independent predictor of PFS and time to progression4-6.
- VJHemOnc (2017). How to measure success in indolent disease? Endpoints, toxicity and more. Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/yn6jw0pahlu-how-to-measure-success-in-indolent-disease-endpoints-toxicity-and-more (Accessed: 03 July 2018).
- VJHemOnc (2016). PHILEMON: a step closer to using MRD to guide treatment decisions in mantle cell lymphoma (MCL)? Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/jtqa3s1yey4-philemon-a-step-closer-to-using-mrd-to-guide-treatment-decisions-in-mantle-cell-lymphoma-mcl (Accessed: 03 July 2018).
- Ladetto M, Brüggemann M, Monitillo L, et al. Next-generation sequencing and real-time quantitative PCR for minimal residual disease detection in B-cell disorders. Leukemia. 2014 Jun; 28(6): 1299-307.
- Galimberti S, Luminari S, Ciabatti E, et al. Minimal residual disease after conventional treatment significantly impacts on progression-free survival of patients with follicular lymphoma: the FIL FOLL05 trial. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Dec 15; 20(24): 6398-405
- Liu H, Johnson JL, Koval G, et al. Detection of minimal residual disease following induction immunochemotherapy predicts progression free survival in mantle cell lymphoma: final results of CALGB 59909. Haematologica. 2012 Apr; 97(4): 579-85
- VJHemOnc (2016). Panel discussion on mantle cell lymphoma. Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/g2kawuniqso-panel-discussion-on-mantle-cell-lymphoma (Accessed: 03 July 2018).