MRD and Acute Myeloid Leukemia
MRD is an important independent prognostic indicator in AML, which may be used for risk stratification and treatment decisions1-4. In AML trials, MRD has been utilized to select patients for transplant2. Studies are also collecting additional data on factors such as quality of life, health economics and resource use, to see if MRD testing can be used to improve the efficiency of treatment5.
The next steps for MRD in this setting are to achieve a consensus on testing protocol and the interpretation of results, to allow the widespread utilization of MRD measurement in a clinically meaningful way1,6-8.
- Schuurhuis GJ, Heuser M, Freeman S, et al. Minimal/measurable residual disease in AML: a consensus document from the European LeukemiaNet MRD Working Party. Blood. 2018 Mar 22; 131(12): 1275-1291.
- VJHemOnc (2018). The evolution of MRD-guided therapy for leukemia. Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/3hrhnwbssr0-the-evolution-of-mrd-guided-therapy-for-leukemia (Accessed: 03 July 2018).
- Köhnke T, Sauter D, Ringel K, et al. Early assessment of minimal residual disease in AML by flow cytometry during aplasia identifies patients at increased risk of relapse. Leukemia. 2015 Feb;29(2):377-86.
- Hubmann M, Köhnke T, Hoster E, et al. Molecular response assessment by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction after induction therapy in NPM1-mutated patients identifies those at high risk of relapse. Haematologica. 2014 Aug;99(8):1317-25.
- VJHemOnc (2018). Advancements in the use of MRD in AML in the UK: MyeChild01 and AML19. Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/auy1rtlxfj4-advancements-in-the-use-of-mrd-in-aml-in-the-uk-myechild01-and-aml19 (Accessed: 03 July 2018).
- Grimwade D, Freeman SD. Defining minimal residual disease in acute myeloid leukemia: which platforms are ready for “prime time”? Blood. 2014 Dec 5; 124(23): 3345-3355.
- Roloff GW, Lai C, Hourigan CS, et al. Technical Advances in the Measurement of Residual Disease in Acute Myeloid Leukemia. J Clin Med. 2017 Sep 19; 6(9).
- VJHemOnc (2018). We know that MRD is relevant, what next? Available at: https://www.vjhemonc.com/video/ely-g6r6jj4-we-know-that-mrd-is-relevant-what-next (Accessed: 03 July 2018).